Bellarine Community Health offers a professional suite of confidential and friendly health services especially for young people aged 12-25.
Our partnership with headspace© provides a dedicated youth health and support service conveniently located between Drysdale’s secondary colleges. Young people can access a range of health advice, support and information under the one roof.
All health services from headspace© are free for young people aged 12-25 years. Some additional charges for medications may apply and fees apply to public dental program for young people over 18 years old.
You can make an appointment directly with us, or ask your school welfare staff to make an appointment for you.
headspace© is a government funded initiative of the National Youth Mental Health Foundation. They support headspace© centres across Australia.
Dental Services for Young People
Dental services for young people are provided through our Point Lonsdale Health Centre including:
- Checkups, cleaning and extractions
- Fillings and fissure sealants
- Fitting of mouth guards and splints
- Professional and dietary advice
- Referrals to Royal Melbourne Dental Hospital.
The Dental service is free for secondary students under 18 who are dependents of concession cardholders or who hold a healthcare or pension concession card. Young people over 18 years can only use the detal service if they hold a healthcare or pension concession card. Public Dental fees apply.
Young people can access qualified general practice doctors providing free, confidential and professional medical care at the headspace© Geelong - Drysdale site.
You can see our doctors for a broad range of health concerns including general health, sexual health or if you are feeling anxious or depressed.
Our doctors are experienced in working with young people and will listen to your concerns in a non-judgemental way and support you to take care of your health.
Nutrition and Dietetics
Dietitian-Nutritionists support young people to grow and maintain good health.
We provide dietary advice relating to:
- Vegetarian diets
- Disordered eating
- Food and mood
- Vitamin/mineral deficiencies ie iron
- Adequate nutrition to perform well at school
- Treatment of diet related diseases such as constipation, diabetes, coeliac disorders, irritable bowel syndrome
Occupational therapy enables people to be able to do the activities (occupation) they want or need to do to at home school or work. Occupational Therapists can work with you around:
- Your general health; managing stress, coping skills, keeping well
- Accessing sporting, social and recreational opportunities
- Transport – Driving or using Public Transport
- School – Social issues, study skills
- Work skills – applications, finding and keeping employment
- Home environment, cooking skills, budgeting, paying bills
- Concentration, attention, problem solving, at school
Physiotherapists are experts in movement and function of the human body and they assist people to overcome movement disorders. Our qualified Physiotherapists can assist you with muscle, joint or movement issues such as:
- Back pain
- Postural imbalances
- Sporting injuries
- Joint stiffness
- Shin splints
Our qualified and experienced Podiatrists provide comprehensive foot care; diagnosing, treating and preventing foot, ankle and lower limb problems including:
- Sporting injuries
- Footwear advice
- Skin and nail disorders
- Ingrown toe-nails
- Sweaty feet
- Foot infections
Youth and Family Counselling
Our counsellors understand the issues faced by young people and can offer support in a confidential and non-judgemental way. Our specialised counsellors can work with young people, their families or their parents and can assist with:
- Feeling down or depressed
- School and exam pressures
- Family and relationship problems
- Problems with drugs and alcohol
- Poor self-esteem
- Eating disorders
- Specialised alcohol and other drug (AOD) counselling to support young people
- Linking you to other services to support your wellbeing.
headspace© Geelong – Drysdale site is also a Centre Against Sexual Assault (CASA) which provides domestic and sexual violence counselling.
Bellarine Community Health provides specialised youth nurses. Our youth nurses understand the problems and pressures faced by young people. They can work with you in a confidential and no-judgemental way and support you with:
- Concerns around sexual health and puberty
- Sexually transmitted infection testing and advice
- Drug and alcohol issues
- Problems at home, school, university or work
- Feeling overwhelmed or down
- Safe partying
- Same sex attractiveness